Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

To Those Who Play Supporting Roles (Podcast)

I had a great conversation with Saren today--one that I really needed.  (We recorded it for our weekly radio show, and if you want to hear it, the link is at the bottom of this post.)

You see, my life doesn't feel like my own right now.  Maybe everyone feels that way, but I think this feeling is especially common with mothers.

We play supporting roles for our husbands, children, friends, neighbors, parents (and more), and sometimes it feels incredibly challenging to take care of our own needs and move forward on important projects because we're needed by everyone else . . . almost all of the time.

I kind of had to laugh because in the middle of the recording, Eric walked in the room and whispered, "Are you recording?"

I nodded yes, and then he got a little frustrated because he'd set aside time from his work to help me go pick up our van from the repair shop (the air conditioning had broken), and although I hadn't known exactly what his afternoon schedule entailed, my call with Saren went way longer than usual.

So there I was, trying to record a podcast about simplifying our lives and getting organized and putting relationships first--while my husband was downstairs waiting for me to get off the call and my children were needing their mama.

Needless to say, we kept the recording short.

The funnier part, though, was when Eric was looking through some of our computer files tonight, and he saw a reference to the topic of the podcast.

"Was your radio show about supporting roles today?"

"Yep." I replied.

He thought for a moment--reflecting on the interaction we'd had and all the grumpiness that followed--and then he smiled and said, "That's rather funny, isn't it?"

Oh, the memories we're making.

Click here to listen to the radio show!

Love,
April

1 comment:

  1. Oh the joys from learning from our experiences! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts with Thumbnails