Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Thoughts on September 11th

On September 10, 2001, Eric and I found out we were expecting our little Grace.  We'd gone through a miscarriage a few months before, so it was very exciting news.

Then the following morning while I was still in bed, I received a phone call from my husband, who was already at work. He told me that the twin towers had been hit by airplanes and that everyone thought it was a terrorist attack.

I spent the rest of the morning gathered with two other mothers in my neighborhood. We were frightened and worried and just needed to be together.

I couldn't help but wonder what kind of a world I was going to be bringing this baby into. I felt vulnerable and scared.  A little part of me wondered if perhaps this world simply isn't a place for children anymore.

Now, 12 years later, I can see that although there are terrible things going on in the world, there is nothing but hope for deliberate mothers. If anything, there has never been a time in history when deliberate mothers were more needed or when their voices could have as much power and influence.

I'm about to step on a plane right now so I can attend our book launch event in Salt Lake City tonight.

In case you are new to this blog and Power of Moms, our book Deliberate Motherhood was just relaunched last week with a new publisher. And tonight we are going to celebrate by hearing from several of its authors and gathering with other deliberate mothers to discuss how we can more powerfully fulfill our roles.

When Saren and I were planning this event, we wondered if perhaps September 11th wasn't the best date for such a gathering.  "Isn't it a day for mourning?" I thought.  But as we discussed what we were going to be doing at this event, I realized that I couldn't think of a better way to remember those who died or honor those who support our country than by doing something to make our families--and thereby our nation--stronger. 

I love our country.  I love motherhood.  And I feel privileged today to get to do just a little something to make this world better for the next generation.

Boarding call!  (Time to go...)

Love,
April


No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails