Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Recording Stories that Make You Laugh

First of all, just a brief note to all those who have supported me through this challenging time with my mom.  I can't even tell you how much your words of encouragement mean.  I've been feeling strong all week--because of you.  So thank you!
____________________

One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how to record my favorite stories.  We all have them--those stories you tell when you're sitting around with friends, remembering the moments that made you laugh . . . or cry . . . or think deeply.

My iPhone has a great voice memo app, so I've started creating brief audio recordings when my favorite stories come to mind.  (If they're under two minutes, I can email them to myself and file them in a "Journal" folder of my email.  If they're over two minutes, I can sync them with my iTunes library and save them in a special folder on my computer.  It's a bit time-consuming, but I'm getting quicker.)

I think these will be fun for my grandchildren to hear someday.  And in case you'd like to try something like this, too, I thought I'd post an example.

Click here for the audio file: Eric's Middle-of-the-Night Trip to the Grocery Store (for His Pregnant Wife)

This is the basic story: When I was pregnant with Alia, I could not sleep.  My doctor said I could take half of a Unisom, but I thought I could get by without it.  Well, one sleepless night, Eric stood up and announced he was going to the grocery store to buy me some Unisom, and he wanted to know if I needed anything else.

"Well . . ." I responded, "I'd like some pickles and oranges and Fresca."

So off he went to purchase those crazy things on my list.  I think it was around 2 or 3 a.m.

The funny part, however, is that when he was at the checkout, he saw another husband buying tuna.

"Pregnant wife?"  the other husband asked.

"Yep." Eric responded.  "Is yours?"

"Yep," the guy responded.

Then they went on their way--back home to their wives.

I have been laughing about that for years.  Such good husbands.

Do you have a fun way to record your favorite memories?

Love,
April



 

2 comments:

  1. I use voice memos a lot but in a different way. Sometimes when my kids are praying or just talking to me while we are snuggled up in the chair, I hit record. I never know if it's going to be "good" or not but I love that they don't know they are being recorded. I love our videos but they put on a show for the camera. This way I can hear what they really sound like. I would also take it with me to the doctor's office when I was pregnant to record the baby's heartbeat and then share it with the entire family. I do it in spurts and I wish I was more consistent because they are such fun to listen to later. Thanks for sharing your idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Kristine! I need to get better at being sneaky when I'm recording. Those audio files would be an absolute treasure. I have a few, but I need to do that more often. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete



Related Posts with Thumbnails